PERMISSIONS: To view the blog, post on it, and comment on posts, you must be invited. I will send you an email invitation to join the blog, and then you must follow the instructions to join up and begin posting. You can't join the blog without first creating a Google account.

POSTING: Post your poems by clicking "New Post" at the top right of the page. Paste your poem into the window.

LABELING: Then label the post with the assignment name (i.e., "confessional poem," "sonnet," etc.), your name (i.e., "Tony Barnstone," etc.), and the week (i.e., "week one," "week two," but not "week 1"--spell out your numbers). If you post a poem in week two that is due in week three, label it "week three." When you begin to type in a label, the program will fill it in for you, so your post will be labeled with the rest of the poems in the same category.

COMMENTING: Afterwards, you can "comment" on the posts of your classmates. Post "group one" and "group two" one-page critical responses as "comments" on the posted poems, but also print out copies for me and for the poet and give them to us in class.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Gulliver

Is Gulliver so large and wild,
Or slipping deceit up?
A small and artful, shifting child
On isles he found himself.

1 comment:

  1. Critical Response
    Whittney Moore
    Michael Knox

    Great words choice for such a short poem. I love Gulliver's Travels and thought that this poem hit it dead on. The explorer going from island to island but in both he feels the deceit and wrong doings. The story is wonderful and your poem definitely promotes the idea behind the curious journey. I wish we could make the quatrain longer so i could see what you had to say past this point, I'm really interested. The contrast between the large and wild and small and artful is brilliant, and carried over beautifully by the the deceit line. I was however taken back by the slipping, but I think I understand what your saying. That there is a falter in human nature, but i think you could be more exact with that.
    From memory Gulliver's Travels was a satire on human nature so I feel that your trying to grasp that with the line. Deceit works perfectly but maybe change the words around it. However, I do like the play on the word up with the alighted up, its clever even if you didn't do it on purpose. So there for I'm not sure what say so work with it and do what you'd like. Other then that I really like the concept and enjoyed reading your poem. Keep writing stuff like this I think it could really work out. Thank you

    ReplyDelete