PERMISSIONS: To view the blog, post on it, and comment on posts, you must be invited. I will send you an email invitation to join the blog, and then you must follow the instructions to join up and begin posting. You can't join the blog without first creating a Google account.

POSTING: Post your poems by clicking "New Post" at the top right of the page. Paste your poem into the window.

LABELING: Then label the post with the assignment name (i.e., "confessional poem," "sonnet," etc.), your name (i.e., "Tony Barnstone," etc.), and the week (i.e., "week one," "week two," but not "week 1"--spell out your numbers). If you post a poem in week two that is due in week three, label it "week three." When you begin to type in a label, the program will fill it in for you, so your post will be labeled with the rest of the poems in the same category.

COMMENTING: Afterwards, you can "comment" on the posts of your classmates. Post "group one" and "group two" one-page critical responses as "comments" on the posted poems, but also print out copies for me and for the poet and give them to us in class.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

Migraine

Not everything seems to look the same
my eyes are too crossed to look.

Books are open with words;
hopping ink that looks up at me,

teasing my pulsating nerves,
frayed with each watery look.

The television screen yells
a look of pure ghostly passion.

Drumming on my orb
lightning takes a look

at the swelling of my sanity.
Whispers look like hell.

A footstep, a nightlight, a rain drop
look through pillowed ears,

and echo past a guarded temple
into the gray looking nerves.

Please no sound no light
to look me in my mind.

Messages smudge in vain.
At my Whit’s end, I simply stop — looking.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, i really like the way you add your name in there at the end, it is a perfect fit for the poem and the form of Ghazal. I am aware you did that on purpose, so good job. It is great to see the word take on two forms for the line, it makes the poem stronger and different. I really enjoy all the metaphors you use to make the picture of someone struggling with a migraine. The pillowed ears was my favorite, and i truly get the image of hands cupping ears as if to protect sounds.
    The pillows can't protect the ears and pain though, and I enjoyed how the sound is like an echo. When i have a migraine the feeling of anyone or anything is ring and pulsating like an echo. It doesn't stop even after the person shuts up. Asking for no light or sound shows the desperation most have when they wish their headache would just go away. Everything is so clear and vivid, i am really impressed especially because the poem is such a short poem, your ideas must be condensed but still make sense.
    One thing i would like to suggest on the matter, i thought your first line was the weakest like in the poem. It is more of a statement that your tired and less of a statement towards your head hurting. Take out the first line or change it to fit the meaning of the poem and i think you have a great Ghazal. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a victim of vicious migraines myself, I really connected with this poem. The images are strikingly vivid and on target with the experience of having a migraine. There are a few lines, however, that are a little bit confusing to me. Most of which can be solved with simple grammatical tweaks. The first line for example, “Not everything seems to look the same” would make more sense if it were just “Not everything seems the same” or “Not everything looks the same.” I also feel as though the two lines in the second stanza should be connected with a single word to clarify the meaning more. Instead of “Books are open with words; hopping ink that looks up at me,” you could take out the semi-colon from the first line and add “of” in front of hopping, just because the line “Books are open with words” by itself seems as if the words are what open books. Also “lightning takes a look at the swelling of my sanity” doesn’t make sense to me. I know you have to have the word look in that second line but I don’t understand how lightning is looking at your sanity.
    Confusing bits aside, I really enjoyed a lot of the imagery and ideas you brought forth in this poem. The “watery look” and the “look of pure ghostly passion” were two that jumped out at me as being very accurate descriptions while maintaining a freshness and creativity in the language. It’s nice how you go back and forth from simple language to poetic descriptions, as it gives the poem a beautiful yet realistic feel. I especially liked the line “Please no light no sound.” It sort of provides a climax for all the torture of the migraine that you describe because you’re finally then pleading to the reader almost, for help. Although I like what you did with the end (especially how you incorporated your name very cleverly) I think the “—looking” is a little too dramatic with the dash.

    ReplyDelete